Children with Childhood Apraxia of Speech are at increased risk for reading disorders. As Speech Language Pathologists, it is important to identify these risk factors and begin using an Integrated Phonological Approach targeting both speech and phonological awareness skills at an early age. This course will expand your knowledge of phonological awareness and pre?reading skills, and provide specific activities SLP’s can easily incorporate into therapy to increase reading success in children with CAS.
- Understand the term “phonological awareness.”
- Identify risk factors for phonological awareness deficits in children with Childhood Apraxia of Speech.
- Describe the components of an Integrated Phonological Approach when treating children with CAS.
- Understand the sequential development of phonological awareness skills in children.
- Be equipped to implement phonological awareness activities into their therapy sessions.
Minutes 1-5 Introduction
Minutes 5-10 Reading and Phonological Awareness
Minutes 10-30 Phonological Awareness in Children with CAS, Risk Factors
Minutes 30-40 Intervention, Typical and Integrated
Minutes 40-70 Pre?Reading and Phonological Awareness Activities
Minutes 71-90 Q & A